Thursday, November 10, 2011

Breathing Again

Today I'm thankful for the fact that tomorrow is the last morning of speech class.  I honestly dreaded that class all summer long.  I'll mention again (two blogs in a row now) that I was homeschooled, and being homeschooled, I never had to take a speech class.  Who would I talk to?  The dog?  This class at college was the first time I'd had to get up in front of an audience and talk about something--all the while getting graded on how many "ums" came out of my mouth, how I just couldn't manage to stand still, or how somehow I managed to cut a nine minute speech down to just barely six minutes.  It was good fun.

Like I said, I dreaded this class ever since my advisor signed me up for it.  The thought of standing up there all by myself and talking gave me shivers.  I had absolutely no idea how I would get through that class.  Looking back on these last couple months though, I can honestly be proud of myself.  No, I may not have been the best speaker in the class, but I did well.  And what's even better is, I did something that I didn't think I could do.

I've been doing a lot of things lately that I didn't think I would be able to do.  I didn't think I would be able to make new friends so easily here.  Much less sisters.  I didn't think I would be able to make it living away from my parents for so long, but I have.  I didn't think I could dissect that pig last week in biology, but I did it (without any tears, thank you very much!).  I've also been easing my way back into trumpet solos.  They still scare the heck out of me, but maybe someday that too will be a thing of the past.

I know one thing to be true.  Without God I would never have made it this far.  Sometimes I forget to thank him for these victories in the moment (an unfortunate human failing of mine), but I never fail to remember that in the end, I would be nothing without Him.  As God is changing my world around me, He's changing me as well.  And for this, I am thankful :)

No comments:

Post a Comment